Ankle sprain is one of the leading causes of ankle pain in the general population and is particularly common in people active in sports and dancing. Most ankle sprains occur after an accidental twisting inversion of the ankle joint. This may injure or tear the outer ankle ligaments (anterior talofibular ligament and posterior talofibular ligament) leading to pain and swelling around the ankle joint. Fortunately, most patients who sustained ankle sprains recover after a few weeks and can continue their usual activities.
The recommended initial ankle sprain treatment is RICE therapy (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) and is effective in relieving pain and swelling in most cases and preventing further injuries to the ankle in the first 24-48 hours.
The recommended initial treatment is RICE therapy (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) and is effective in relieving pain and swelling in most cases and preventing further injuries to the ankle in the first 24-48 hours.
- When your pain is severe and you are unable to put weight on the ankle and walk
- If your ankle swelling persists and does not improve with RICE therapy
- If you have repeated/recurrent ankle sprains with features of an unstable ankle such as it ‘giving way’ frequently (Chronic ankle instability)
- If a serious ankle sprain is left untreated, it can potentially lead to chronic ankle pain, instability, and arthritis of the ankle
- We will obtain details on the mechanism of your injury
- We will thoroughly examine the ankle to determine the severity and extent of injury
- X-rays will be performed to exclude fractures
- If your pain has been persistent for 4-6 weeks and you have features of chronic ankle instability such as an ankle that ‘gives way on uneven ground, we may order an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan of the ankle further evaluation
- We may provide you with recovery aids such as splints and ankle braces
- We may refer you to a physiotherapist in our team, to teach you physical therapy to strengthen the ligaments and muscles around your ankle, restore range of motion, improve balance and proprioception to reduce the risk of further sprains
Call us to evaluate you if you have an ankle sprain!
Fortunately, most patients improve with non-surgical ankle treatment. Only a selected group of patients may require surgery and they usually have already attempted non-surgical treatment without satisfactory improvement.
Patients who may need surgery may have:
- Chronic ankle instability with multiple and recurrent ankle sprains despite physiotherapy and wearing of splints and braces, and with MRI evidence of ligamentous injury/tears
- Chronic debilitating ankle pain with locking sensation and MRI evidence of osteochondral injury(cartilage defect) of the talus and loose bodies in the ankle joint
Call us to evaluate if you may need an ankle surgery in Singapore!
Our orthopaedic specialists are well trained and competent in performing surgeries of the ankle with excellent outcomes.
MIS(Minimally invasive surgery) with ankle arthroscopy has the advantage of visualizing the ankle joint via keyhole incisions. During the procedure:
- Scar tissue and loose bodies in the ankle joint can be removed (to relieve locking symptoms and impingement)
- Small osteochondral injuries to the talus can be treated via microfracture with cartilage scaffold to stimulate healing
- In addition, the outer ankle ligaments can be repaired/reinforced during the same procedure to achieve ankle stability
Mini open ankle ligament reconstruction/repair can be performed for revision cases with internal brace
Call us to discuss the optimal surgery for your ankle problem today!
Dr Seng Chusheng is a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon with specialised expertise in minimally invasive foot and ankle surgery, sports and reconstructive surgery, as well as treatment for orthopaedic trauma. Dr Seng holds an MBBS and MMed (Orthopaedic Surgery) from the National University of Singapore, and is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK (Orthopaedic Surgery).
To schedule a quick appointment, Call or WhatsApp 9898 5280
Mount Elizabeth Novena Medical Centre (Coming Soon)
38 Irrawaddy Road, #07-49 Singapore 329563
Parkway East Medical Centre (VC)
Farrer Park Medical Centre
1 Farrer Park Station Road, #15-05 Connexion, Singapore 217562
Email Address: email@example.com
Operating hours: Monday - Friday: 8:30am - 5:30pm, Saturday: 8:30am - 12:30pm, Sunday & Public Holidays: Closed